Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"now THAT is Kenya"

Having been here for 2 weeks I really do think that I am beginning to get over some of the original culture shock that comes with living in Africa…but there are always things that “get me”…which make me stop and realize that I REALLY am. IN. Africa.

A few stories for you at home:

1. 1. Animals: being stopped in the middle of the road by flocks of sheep, herds of cows, many conversations revolving around our goats, or today, when I realized that chickens had wandered into the living room of the baby house. Really?!

2. 2. Driving: it’s insane. I am blessed to have a car that I can use while I am here, and thanks to a small fee and a few stamps from AAA I am a legal international driver. I have been starting slowly, getting used to the other side of the road, people walking in the streets, no speed limits nor any stop signs/stop lights or any road markings. Today I got to the point where I felt comfortable driving by myself to and from the knitting shop, especially after realizing the guardsman Kennedy was going to be with me for the ride….little did I know what was in front of me: Kennedy had me drive a different way home that was “no problem” so that we could pick up some materials for the women that were needed…I soon found myself in the middle of a street market with people all around me and a huge road blockage…causing me to need to drive BACKWARDS, maneuvering through other cars, tuk tuks (small taxis), bikes, piki pikis (motorbikes), and the market stands that are very close to the road. I was a muzungu (white person) FREAKING out, driving backwards through the streets, shouting out the cracked window to Kennedy who was trying to direct me (in his second language using phrases like “nevermind” which to me means: “forget what I just said” but to him means “don’t worry”)..God is faithful and protecting and I got home, much later than planned, but safe and sound!

I am now VERY confident that I can drive the basic streets back and forth to the shop…no more market driving for me please.

1 comment:

  1. love it! I followed Trena's link and can't wait to follow your time in Nakuru....I know exactly how you feel, except the time I found myself having to drive backwards was down Biashara Street in Nairobi during rush hour! Thankfully, I was the calm, "seasoned" one in the car...the newbie in the passenger side was freaking out!

    ReplyDelete