Monday, April 11, 2011

enjoying the moment

(disclaimer: sappy post. its bound to happen)

the reality of having 2 weeks left in this country has hit me hard the last few days.

yes i am looking forward to being home. to having a hot shower with actual water pressure, eating good american food (such as a zingerman's sandwhich which i have had dreams about). but the thought of leaving the aunties, my babies, the women at the shop and the boys makes my stomach hurt and makes me cry daily.

but i know that this trip is coming to an end. and i have been consciously soaking in every single moment...seeing the joys and being thankful for the small things, the moments that i will miss when i am home. today i have seen God in even the moments that have become a hassle or a frustration over the last 4 months.

so today:
- I enjoy the one-on-one time with Tracy laughing and talking about life while cleaning what felt like 43,728 dirty dishes.
- I memorize the sound of David's belly laugh while i tickle him during the dreaded 5pm-6pm before dinner hour.
- I spend the morning break not showering as planned but walking around the compound hand in hand with miah, chasing chickens, kicking balls and finding bugs.
- I focus on annabelle sleeping on my chest while listening to the children's sing-a-long video that I have seen every day since being here.
- I laugh with Lizzie who thinks that Joseph shaking his milk is the funniest thing she's ever seen rather than focus on the milk puddle.
- I deal with the nasty smell of literally 5 pounds of ugali because I know it means that tonight the boys will get a filling GOOD meal while visiting the baby house.
- I celebrate with EVERY person in the house when Miah actually pooped IN the potty even though it meant getting that stupid potty out every hour.

God is here and I am so thankful for every moment of these last 3+ months and cherish these last 2 weeks. I am praying that I continue to see Him in the small things, and that each one of these people I love will feel this love and will know a fraction of how they have each changed my life.

1 comment: